HFD: Unattended pot on stove causes kitchen fire

Headline Goes Here

HOUSTON - Authorities said a pot left unattended on a hot stove caused an overnight apartment fire in northwest Houston.

Houston firefighters were called to the Brittany Place apartment complex on W. 18th Street near Greengrass Drive around 5:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Fire crews made a fast attack and were able to get the fire in the second-floor apartment under control quickly.

A woman who was cooking Tuesday night left a pot on the stove simmering and it caught fire several hours later, according to the Houston Fire Department.

The woman told officials she woke up to the smell of smoke and called 911 after she saw that her kitchen was on fire.

Fire crews said the woman was able to make it out of her unit safety, and no other injuries were reported.

Officials said the fire was contained to the kitchen, but there was smoke damage throughout the apartment. In addition, the unit below suffered water damage.

Copyright 2014 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.