HCSO: Suspect fantasized about stabbing people

Dylan Quick charged with 3 counts of aggravated assault at Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

CYPRESS, Texas - A man accused of stabbing more than a dozen people at a college campus had fantasies about stabbing people to death since he was in elementary school, Harris County sheriff's deputies said.

Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia said at a press conference Wednesday that Dylan Andrew Quick, a 20-year-old student enrolled at Lone Star College's Cy-Fair campus who has been charged with the stabbings at the college, told police he had been "planning the event for some time."

Fourteen people were hurt in the incident that happened inside and around the college's Health Science Center. Twelve people were rushed to hospitals and two refused treatment, officials said.

On Tuesday, a 911 call was received at the Harris County sheriff's call center at 11:12 a.m. regarding a stabbing at Lone Star College's Cy-Fair campus, 9191 Barker Cypress Road.

Quick has been charged with three charges of aggravated assault. He is being held in the Harris County Jail without bond. He did not appear in probable cause court early Wednesday because he was undergoing a mental health exam. He was transferred to the jail's mental health ward and has been placed on suicide watch.

"According to the statement the suspect voluntarily gave investigators, he has had fantasies of stabbing people since the age of 8," said Garcia.

Garcia said that the weapon used in the stabbings was a razor utility knife. "The handle to a razor-type knife was found in a backpack that Quick was carrying when he was arrested," a statement from the Harris County Sheriff's Office read.

"There were pieces of a blade in at least one victim," the statement said.

Garcia said Quick also had another weapon in his backpack, but it was not used in the attacks.

Garcia also said that a computer and other items were collected from Quick's home. The sheriff also said that it appears that the victim's were randomly selected and that there was no evidence to explain why the victims were targeted. Garcia also mentioned that he received an email from a "concerned citizen" that there may have been a conversation in a chat room that could be tied to Tuesday's events.

Deputies said that all of the victims were expected to recover.

Xiony, a student at the college, said she was sitting in a chair in a hallway and studying for a class when she was attacked.

"I thought he was poking me and then I felt this sharp pain," said Xiony. "Then I realized he was actually stabbing me with something. I immediately pushed him away and he just walked off like nothing. I've never seen him before."

Xiony suffered wounds to her chin, neck and hand.

"I could feel the blood coming down my neck, which got me really scared because I thought he hit a big artery," Xiony said.

Investigators said a student tackled the suspect and that helped them capture the man. Garcia said that investigators are looking into that the stabbings may have taken place on the first and second floors of the health sciences center.

Quick (pictured, right) was recently featured on the college's website because of his longtime participation in library activities. The student spotlight indicated that Quick was born deaf and at the age of 7 he received a cochlear implant.

Students return to campus

Lone Star College's Cy-Fair campus reopened Wednesday, less than 24 hours after it was a crime scene.

"Coming back, I can't believe it actually happened on our campus," student Kyle Hartnett said. "You hear about the North Harris shooting ... you didn't think it would hit this close to home, actually happening on your campus."

Shortly after the incident, some students said they are worried about their safety.

"I'm hoping they do something about it," student Michael Chalfan said. "More security or something like that because with us college students, we feel like we're vulnerable."

There was a visible increase in security on Wednesday morning.

Audre Levy, Ed.D, president of Lone Star College-CyFair, said that seven of the injured victims left the hospital Tuesday evening. A statement from Memorial Hermann said that of the five remaining patients, three were discharged Wednesday, while two remain in good condition.

Copyright 2013 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.