HOUSTON - Harris County Sheriff's Office Deputy Jose J. Ramirez was arrested on Monday and charged with the felony offense of misuse of official information.
Ramirez was a two-year veteran assigned to evening patrol.
- YES Prep student killed in police chase crash identified
- Police: Drunk college student steals ambulance van, crashes
- Chase suspect charged after violent crash kills 1, critically injures another
- Driver evades police in Tomball, deputies say
- Man stabbed to death in apartment leasing office, police say
Ramirez was conducting random checks of license plate numbers of vehicles at the Airport Game Room, which was managed by his wife.
Police say the license plate checks were being conducted to provide his wife with information about patrons entering her establishment -- particularly if the game room visitors were undercover officers.
Ramirez has been suspended from duty without pay as the investigation progresses.
“The Harris County Sheriff’s Office stands firm in the belief that all employees’ actions will be held to the highest level and when found to violate policy, procedures or laws will be dealt with swiftly, professionally and justly," Sheriff Ron Hickman said.