Fire started by cigarette destroys north Harris County home

Firefighters: Man smoking cigarette was putting gas in car

Headline Goes Here

HOUSTON -  Firefighters believe a cigarette is to blame for a massive house fire in north Harris County.

The fire broke out in the garage of a home on Monitor St. near Harrow St. just after 10:00 p.m. Thursday.

Investigators with the Westfield Fire Department said a man who lives at the home, was putting gas into a car in the garage, while smoking a cigarette.

The cigarette ignited the fumes and the fire quickly spread to the gas can, then the rest of the home.

Firefighters said the man attempted to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher, but it quickly got out of control.

Three adults were at the home at the time of the fire, fortunately they were able to get out safely.

Copyright 2013 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.