Fire crews battle mobile-home blaze

Officials: Dog feared dead found alive

Headline Goes Here

CONROE, Texas - Fire crews said a smoke detector may have saved a woman's life during a house fire in Conroe.

Officials said the woman was sleeping inside her mobile home on North Pine View in Conroe when the smoke detector went off. The woman opened the door where a heater was located and saw flames shooting into the attic.

Fire crews arrived and battled the blaze, officials said. At one point, the roof collapsed while a firefighter was inside, but officials said no one was injured.

Fire officials said the woman's dog was in the bedroom, locked in a crate when the fire broke out. Somehow the dog escaped and was feared dead, but officials said it was found about two hours later as firefighters removed furniture from the home.

The home was completely destroyed, investigators said.

There's no word yet on the cause of the fire.

Copyright 2013 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.