Electrical fire begins on teenager's bed

Firefighters say the fire was contained to the single bedroom

By Frank Espinoza - News Producer
Headline Goes Here

HOUSTON -  A teenager is blaming a faulty electrical outlet for a fire that started in his bedroom.

It happened around 2 a.m. Monday on Knottybold Lane and Buxley Street in southwest Houston.

Firefighters said nine people were inside the house when the fire broke out.

The teenager told firefighters he woke up to a popping sound coming from the outlet, and next thing he knew the bed was on fire.

He tried to put it out by running into the kitchen to get some water, but by the time he came back, it was burning out of control.

The teenager said the outlet had been giving the family problems in the past, and that it did not have a cover.  Firefighters have ruled the fire electrical in nature. 

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the bedroom.

No one was hurt.

Copyright 2014 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.