Blown transformer may be to blame for 3 house fires

PASADENA, Texas - A blown transformer is likely the reason three homes caught fire in Pasadena, according to the Pasadena Fire Marshal.

Officials said they were first called to a home on the 1300 block of Carpenter Ave. around 3:15 pm, after reports of heavy smoke.  When they arrived, the fire had spread to two other homes on the 1300 block of Hancock Ave.  The two homes on Hancock Ave. share a backyard fence with the home on Carpenter Ave.

"It's like I'm in a dream," homeowner Morris Bryant said.  "I can't believe this happened."  Bryant said he heard a loud pop and went outside to find his backyard and eventually his house, in flames.

Officials said that everyone inside the three homes made it out safely.  However, Bryant said his cat and pet bird died inside the home.

Bryant added that his home is a total loss.

As of Friday evening, fire crews were still on the scene,  talking to witnesses and monitoring hot spots.

Copyright 2013 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.