April 5 Restaurant Report Card: Roaches

HOUSTON - There's Chinese, Indian and Mexican food, but all of the restaurants we're about to mention have something in common -- and that something has four legs.

"We'd like to see if you could show us around to see if you guys have fixed your roach problem," consumer investigator Amy Davis told the manager of Madras Pavillion at 3910 Kirby.

Inspectors said they found dead roaches in the steam table water and live roaches throughout the restaurant, including in the oven, sink and dish rack. 

They temporarily closed the place in November and again in March.

Manager Chandran Siti told Davis told he changed out shelving and floor, but he blames the roaches on the rain that floods a grease trap outside, sending the pests in.

At Thai Cottage at 3995 Richmond, inspectors said they saw two roaches in a wine cabinet. They tossed two pounds of beef infested with roaches from the Taqueria Jalicso Mex, a mobile food truck parked at 2322 1/2 Wirt Road. 

Inspectors said they spotted two live roaches inside La Reynera's Bakery at 4120 McKinney. 

Inspectors said there were fleas around products on display in the bakery of HEB at 10100 Beechnut.

At Oishii Japanese Restaurant at 3764 Richmond, inspectors asked employees to move the fly trap hanging above the food prep area.

We looked high and low for a restaurant with no violations, and we found one at 6455 Hillcroft. Tastee Pizza earns an A in this week's Restaurant Report Card.

To see a complete list of restaurant violations in the Houston area, visit www.click2houston.com/restaurantinspections. How To File Restaurant Complaint We get our information from the city of Houston Health Department, but many of you have complaints about restaurants in other cities and counties. Refer to the following list to find out which agency to contact depending on the location of the restaurant: * For all complaints about restaurants located in the city of Houston, call 311 or file the complaint online. * Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services inspects and permits all retail food establishments in the unincorporated areas of Harris County as well as in the cities of Tomball, Katy, Jacinto City, Galena Park, La Porte, Morgan's Point, South Houston, Seabrook, El Lago, Southside Place, Hunter's Creek, Piney Point, Bunker Hill, Jersey Village, Spring Valley, Deer Park, Humble, Waller, and West University Place. If you believe you have become ill from ingesting food from an establishment in unincorporated Harris County or in a city inspected by Harris County, please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/foodcomplaint.ht or call them at 713-274-6300. If you are concerned about a food establishment's operations such as cleanliness, food handling procedures, etc., please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/complaints.htm. * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Montgomery County, call the Montgomery County Health Department at 936-539-7839. * To file a complaint about a restaurant Galveston County, call the Galveston County Health Department at 409-938-2300. Use this link to speed the process and file your complaint electronically, or send an email to mentringer@gchd.org. * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Brazoria County, contact the Brazoria County Health Department. * To file a complaint about a restaurant Fort Bend County, contact the Fort Bend County Health Department. * To file a complaint about a restaurant in Sugar Land use this link or contact the Senior Sanitarian at 281-275-2278 or email foodinspection@sugarlandtx.gov. If you have a news tip or question for KPRC Local 2 Investigates, drop them an e-mail or call their tipline at (713) 223-TIPS (8477). Copyright 2012 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.