5 things to know today - that aren't about the virus
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that are being talked about today:
1. US CHURCH FACES NEGLECT ALLEGATIONS IN HAITI: A fire at one of the children’s homes run by the Church of Bible Understanding killed 15 people, residences which have faced years of infractions and failed two state inspections.
2. LATINOS FACE DILEMMA WITH BIDEN: They could look past the former vice president’s resume and vote for him or sit out the election and risk another four years of Trump, who escalated his hardline immigration stance this week.
3. GUAIDO ALLIES PAYING THEMSELVES: Opposition lawmakers in Venezuela have quietly agreed to pay themselves a $5,000 a month as part of a law that approved $100 bonuses for health care workers battling the coronavirus.
4. EARTH'S INSECT POPULATION SHRINKING: Researchers say the world has lost more than one quarter of its land-dwelling insects in the past 30 years.
5. ACTRESS SHIRLEY KNIGHT DIES: Shirley Knight, the Kansas-born actress who was nominated for two Oscars early in her career and went on to play an astonishing variety of roles in movies, TV and the stage, has died. She was 83. Kaitlin Hopkins says her mother passed away Wednesday of natural causes
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.