Multiple people hospitalized after suffering carbon monoxide exposure
HOUSTON – Multiple people are recovering after they were exposed to carbon monoxide while inside their southwest Houston home.
The Houston Fire Department was called out to The Reserve condominiums on Old Farm Road near Westheimer just after midnight Monday.
Multiple residents were inside the building when they arrived, and after assessing them, firefighters determined that two units were affected by the gas leak.
Firefighters initially said five people were transported, but after further investigation, they determined seven people – four adults, three children – were suffering from exposure.
Officials later said four people - three adults and 1 child - were hospitalized.
The people were transported to a hospital and they are expected to be OK, authorities said.
Firefighters brought fans to clear out the toxic air and tested the air before leaving, officials said.
Roy Scott, 81, lives a few doors down from where the exposures occurred. He worked in the oil-field and is familiar with the toxic gas.
"Well, it’s just a shame. Carbon monoxide, I mean, it doesn't pick children over adults," Scott said. "I mean. it’s going to get wherever it goes ... You just go to sleep. I mean it just overtakes your lungs and kills you. With all the kids around here, that’s just ignorance"
Apartment management said the exposure was caused by an SUV that was left running inside a garage.
Copyright 2019 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.