2 arrested after chase ends in rollover crash in Dickinson

DICKINSON, Texas – Three Dickinson Independent School District schools were placed on lockout mode Thursday due to police activity in the area, according to officials.

Students at Dickinson High School, Silbernagel Elementary School and Dunbar Middle School were not allowed to leave until it was deemed safe by the Galveston County Sheriff's Office around 3:45 p.m.

Police said they were conducting surveillance on 17-year-old Issac Brown and 19-year-old Cameron Tucker around 1 p.m. when they saw the men leave a location in Texas City. The pair is believed to be connected with a recent drive-by shooting in La Marque, authorities said.

Authorities said Tucker was driving and they knew he didn't have a driver's license.

When authorities attempted to pull their vehicle over near the intersection of I-45 and Holland Road, Tucker started the chase, according to authorities. Police said they saw Brown move to the driver's seat of the vehicle and Tucker got in the back.

A 20-mile police chase ended with a crash in Dickinson on FM 1266, between 37th and 38th streets. The chase reached speeds of 115 mph through League City, Texas City, unincorporated parts of Galveston County and the Dickinson area, officials said.

During the chase, the suspect attempted to ram police cars, authorities said. Police also said Brown and Tucker were posting to Snapchat during the chase.

The chase came to an end when the suspect rolled the vehicle, authorities said.

Several residents saw the aftermath of the chase.

"Walked around the side of the fence and there’s a car turned over in the ditch and about 10 police officer cars out here," Darrell Hartwick said.

After the crash, officers swarmed the scene.

"I mean, I’ve never seen so many cops come so quickly," Grace Hartwick said. "I have to give the officers this, they did their job and they were out here trying their hardest to find the guy."

Brown fled the vehicle after the crash and was found hiding in bushes behind a Subway about a mile away, police said. Tucker and a 17-year-old girl were taken into custody immediately after the crash, according to police. The girl was released when police said she was not involved in the incident.

Lockout mode means no one was able to enter or exit the schools.

About the Authors: