68ºF

George H.W. Bush to remain hospitalized through weekend, spokesman says

HOUSTON – Former President George H.W. Bush will remain in the hospital through the weekend after he was moved out of intensive care Wednesday, Bush family spokesman Jim McGrath said.

Bush was hospitalized earlier this week with a blood infection. He was moved out of intensive care on Wednesday, and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush later said that his father would be released from the hospital on Friday.

However, on Friday, McGrath said in a written statement that the 41st president would remain at Houston Methodist Hospital through the weekend, but is in excellent spirits.

The former president’s granddaughter, Jenna Bush, gave an update on his condition during the "Today" Show on Friday morning.

“He's doing well. He's great. He's goal-oriented and he wants to get to Maine, so we think he's going to be going there. He's sad, but he's doing well. Last time we talked to him, he was eating barbecue,” Jenna Bush said.

In a statement on Wednesday, McGrath said the former president also expressed gratitude for the prayers and well wishes he has received, McGrath said.

“He also wants to assure everyone that, as good as he feels now, he is more focused on the Houston Rockets closing out their playoff series against the Minnesota Timberwolves than anything that landed him in the hospital,” McGrath said in the statement.

The former president was hospitalized shortly after attending the weekend funeral of former first lady Barbara Bush.


About the Authors: