Smoke detectors save family in southwest Houston house fire
Cat killed, other pets missing, family says
HOUSTON – A heater is being blamed for a house fire Tuesday in southwest Houston, police said.
Firefighters were called just after 2:30 a.m. to a home in the 15100 block of Chaseridge.
Investigators said everyone inside the home was able to escape after smoke alarms in the home went off.
Kay Kelly, who escaped the fire, said she never thought they'd need smoke detectors.
"Thank God we had them," she said.
Kelly said a furnace was on in the home and fire officials believe that's what sparked the fire.
"You never know when it will be necessary to have a smoke detector working," she said.
At least one cat was killed in the fire. Officials were searching for another poodle and a kitten.
No one else was injured.
Copyright 2018 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.