Pancake-loving pup to blame for fire that nearly destroyed family's home
SOUTHWICK, Mass. – A hungry dog is to blame for a fire that nearly destroyed a family’s home in Massachusetts.
A security camera captured the moment the dog tried to grab some leftover pancakes from the stove top, but managed to light the appliance in the process.
As time passes, items on the stove catch fire and the flames and smoke build in the room.
An alarm system notified authorities who stopped the fire from spreading to other areas of the home, according to the Southwick Fire Department, which shared the video on Facebook.
Along with the video, the fire department shared this message: “Alarms work! ... In this case, the homeowner was connected to a monitored alarm system calling responders saving severe damage. If you have pets or young children in the home look into safety covers for your stove controls.”
Alarms Work! We would like to thank a local resident for sharing this video. First, we always caution about putting items on the stove. In this case, the family pet decided to help themselves to some leftover pancakes while the owners were away. Unfortunately, the dog hit the ignition button on the gas stove. Within minutes you will see the item on stove begin to ignite. In this case, the homeowner was connected to a monitored alarm system calling responders saving severe damage. If you have pets or young children in the home look into safety covers for your stove controls.Posted by Southwick Fire Department on Tuesday, January 30, 2018
Copyright 2018 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.