Discarded fireworks blamed for fire that destroyed Tomball home
TOMBALL, Texas – Firefighters blamed discarded fireworks for a New Year’s Day fire that destroyed a home in Tomball.
The fire was reported about 3 a.m. in the 21000 block of Country Cove Court.
Officials at the Harris County Fire Marshal’s Office said the blaze started after someone threw fireworks away in a trash can. The fire spread from the trash can to the home, officials said.
Crews from the Rosehill, Cy-Fair and Tomball fire departments worked for hours to get the fire under control, but the second floor of the home burned down.
No injuries were reported.
The fire was ruled an accident.
Officials said the fire serves as a reminder that fireworks should be soaked in water before being placed in the trash. Fireworks should also be kept away from homes, vehicles and flammable liquids, officials said.
The best way to enjoy fireworks is to leave them to the professionals, officials said, but people should keep a bucket of water and a water hose nearby if they decide to use fireworks.
Copyright 2018 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.