Second arrest made in death of 79-year-old Hedwig Village woman

HOUSTON – A second arrest has been made in the death of a 79-year-old woman who was found "brutally murdered" in a home in Hedwig Village, police said.

Police announced Friday that 22-year-old Timesha Wilson was arrested in connection to the death of Janeil Bernard. Wilson has been charged with capital murder.

Bernard's body was discovered by her maid around 1 p.m. on July 3 inside a home in the 11000 block of Capri Lane. She was found beaten and stabbed to death, and there were signs of a struggle, Sgt. Marvin Collins said during a news conference.

Hedwig Village police said the man responsible for what they call a "callous, senseless murder of a 79-year-old woman" is Michael Glenn Susberry, 55.

The department's police chief said Susberry confessed to last week's killing of Bernard, who had lived in the community for 50 years.

"He's been in and out of the penitentiary his entire life," said Hedwig Village police Chief David Gott. "It doesn't appear as though he has ever done anything worthwhile since he has been alive on this earth."

Gott said Wilson was with Susberry on the night of the murder, that she was in Bernard's house and in her vehicle, then helped to dump the vehicle.

She initially denied taking any part in the incident, and claims she had no knowledge that a robbery was going to take place.

VIDEO: Surveillance shows suspects on night of murder

However, Gott said surveillance video shows Susberry and Wilson boarding a METRO bus at 4:11 p.m. on July 2, the day of the murder, and video captures the two walking through Hedwig Village toward Bernard's house.

Shortly after 9 p.m., Gott said video shows Bernard's vehicle leaving the neighborhood.

In surveillance video from a Texaco gas station near where the vehicle was dumped, Gott said surveillance video shows the vehicle in the parking lot around 4 a.m. the next morning.

About 20 minutes later, Susberry and Wilson can be seen walking from where the vehicle was last spotted, through the parking lot of the Texaco, Gott said.

Wilson and Susberry live in the same neighborhood, police said, and he claims Wilson is his caretaker.

Wilson has no criminal history, investigators said.

"My prayers go out to the family of the lady," Wilson's uncle, Willie Canada, said.

He said Wilson lived with her grandmother and 1-year-old son in Sunnyside until two months ago when she moved out.

"She was out there on those drugs real bad and I guess that's what happens when you're on drugs," Canada said.

What Wilson is accused of doing is too much for her own family to imagine. 


Susberry knew Bernard his entire life. His mother, Moteel Susberry, had been Bernard's maid for nearly 60 years, with Bernard providing her with a monthly stipend even after Susberry retired.

WATCH: Police discuss details about arrest made in death of Hedwig Village woman

Susberry's sons, including Michael Susberry, would pick up the check every month, officials said.

Michael Susberry confessed to police that he went to Bernard's house to rob her and she let him into her home because she knew him, officials said. Police said Bernard even gave him something to drink. Michael Susberry told police he went to her restroom and pretended he had fallen on the floor.

"When she went down to help him up from the floor, that's when he grabbed her, he head-butted her, he hit her, he knocked her to the ground," Gott said. "Then he pulled out a knife and stabbed her several times."

Police said Bernard tried to fight back, but afterward Susberry ransacked her home, stole jewelry and took her wallet and a red four-door Cadillac.

The vehicle was found a day later after having been abandoned on Houston's south side, investigators said. The Cadillac was taken for evidence. 


Bernard's keys were found about 200 yards from where the car was abandoned.

After identifying Michael Susberry as a suspect with the help of Metro Police and the Houston Police Department, detectives convinced Susberry to sit for a voluntary interview on Tuesday, in which he confessed to the homicide, police said.

Although Gott said he knows he has no role in the decision, he said he would strongly urge the district attorney's office to consider the death penalty for Michael Susberry.

"We are so relieved that the police acted as quickly and as efficiently as they did," said Bernard's longtime neighbor, Dr. Harvey Fodell. "The whole neighborhood was on edge, and it was such a wonderful thing that they made the arrest as quickly as they did."

Residents in the Sunnyside neighborhood, where Susberry lived with his mother and two brothers, said they didn’t know much about Susberry but said they were shocked by the allegations.

“Michael’s a very nice little guy. He would come over every once in a while and ask me to give him a little bit of money, and I would give it. He would pay me,” neighbor Asham Ross said. “I probably wouldn’t be talking to him if he was going to do something like this.”

Michael Susberry is facing capital murder charges and is being held in jail with no bond.

Moteel Susberry was not home Wednesday afternoon.

One woman, who asked to remain anonymous, said she's been Moteel's friend for 15 years and always checks on her.

The woman said she had no idea about what had happened.

"Oh, how devastating, oh my God," said the stunned woman. “It’s quite devastating. I’m just so sorry that this has happened, and I’m sorry for Ms. Moteel and the rest of her family, and I’m deeply sorry for the family that has gone through the heartache and pain of losing someone.”

The woman said she did not see Michael Susberry often and didn't really know him.

“I know it’s heart-breaking for any mother’s son to do that to anybody and knowing the type of person that Ms. Moteel is, I really feel sorry and have sympathy for her."

VIDEO: Repeat offenders don't go back to prison


According to Susberry's criminal history, in June 1985, a jury sentenced him to life in prison for his role in several crimes, including aggravated robbery, auto theft and robbery.

Susberry only served about 20 years of that life sentence before he was released on parole. Starting in Oct. 2015, he spent almost one year in jail after being convicted of aggravated assault.

Susberry's parole was never revoked.

Victims' advocate Andy Kahan said the murder shouldn't have happened.

"This was a senseless tragedy; utterly preventable because this individual shouldn't have been on the street to allegedly do what he did," Kahan said.

Download the Click2Houston news app in your app store to stay up-to-date with the latest news while you're on the go.

Sign up for KPRC 2 newsletters to get breaking news, sports, entertainment, contests and more delivered straight to your email inbox.