68ºF

Lubbock teen electrocuted while using cellphone in bathtub

LUBBOCK, Texas – A Lubbock teen was electrocuted Sunday while using her cellphone in the bathtub, according to KCBD-TV.

The television station reported that the family of Madison Coe, 14, said she was in the bathtub and grabbed her phone which was plugged in and charging.

“There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone, and that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened,” Coe’s grandmother, Donna O’Guinn, said.

Coe, an eighth-grader at Terra Vista Middle School, was expected to attend high school in Houston.

“I call her my shining star,” O’Guinn said. “She was very smart – a very good student in school. She just loved life.”

Coe’s family called the incident a terrible accident that could happen to anyone. Now, they said, their mission is to make sure it does not happen again.

"This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else, and we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cellphone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging," O'Guinn said.

A memorial fund has been set up on GoFundMe.com. Click or tap here to donate.

Download the Click2Houston news app in your app store to stay up-to-date with the latest news while you're on the go.

Sign up for KPRC 2 newsletters to get breaking news, sports, entertainment, contests and more delivered straight to your email inbox.


About the Author: