2 hurt after several people leap from window to escape apartment fire
HOUSTON – At least two people were hurt Monday when several people were forced to jump from second-story window to escape a fire at a northwest Houston apartment complex.
The fire was reported at 4:03 a.m. near the corner of Gulf Bank Road and Damascus Drive.
The fire appears to have started in a second-floor apartment, where significant damage could be seen.
Residents said they have been without power since Friday. Another resident, Audrey Richardson, said that's why she had to light a candle last night, which started the fire.
"These lights was out for more than two days," she said.
Richardson said she was in the apartment with five others, including two children, when the blaze began. She said all of them leaped from the window to escape the flames.
"I jumped with my baby to break her fall," Richardson said.
Richardson said her boyfriend, Steve Simmons, badly cut his arm when he was trying to save her two daughters during the escape.
Another woman was also injured.
Residents said losing power was only part of a list of problems, like mold and maintenance issues, at the apartments.
"Like if it ain't mold, it's something going out in your apartment. When you tell then about it, they don't do anything about it," Richardson said.
Copyright 2017 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.