'Blessed to be alive:' Residents safe after electrical fire

Photo does not have a caption

HOUSTON – Five residents are safe after a house fire Friday morning in northwest Harris County.

The fire broke out around 4 a.m. on Oak Falls near Bammel North Houston.

The family -- a mother, a father, their son and two grandchildren -- were able to escape.

The father said his son woke him up and the house was starting to fill with smoke. They had to crawl downstairs to get out.

Two young grandchildren are also safe.

The father told KPRC 2 News that they are "blessed to be alive."

The Northwest Volunteer Fire Department said it was an electrical fire contained to the garage. The residents believe the freezer in the garage had faulty wiring.

There is some smoke damage to the house.

No one was injured.

Download the Click2Houston news app in your app store to stay up-to-date with the latest news while you're on the go.

Sign up for KPRC 2 newsletters to get breaking news, sports, entertainment, contests and more delivered straight to your email inbox.