Daughter upset after father's gravesite disrupted
HOUSTON – It's been three years since Solomon Bullard died at age 77. He was buried at Paradise Cemetery in Southwest Houston.
A cellphone video shows his grave site six months after he died. It shows the stone and small plot of land full of grass.
Now fast forward to Christmas Day 2016.
"We come out on holidays, Fathers' Day, and we put flowers down, here around his grave," Debra Bullard said.
The Bullard family was back at the cemetery but this visit was different.
"This was gone. The ground was dug up," Bullard said.
Another cellphone video, taken just last week, shows the tombstone is gone, and the ground above the place where her father lies is now disturbed.
"I'm just horrified. This is so unfair. He chose this place as his final resting place of peace," Bullard said.
Bullard is heartsick over the questions in her mind. She's had no contact from the cemetery, but says she's left them messages.
"Why did they do this? What prompted them to do this?" Bullard asked.
Those questions remain unanswered.
Bullard reached out to Channel 2 on Tuesday, and we called the cemetery, also looking for answers.
Within hours, the stone was back, and the plot had been smoothed over.
But there was still, no word on what happened.
The family says it's a nightmare not knowing what happened here at the only place they can find solace in the loss of their father.
"We just want answers," Diane Bullard said.
Paradise Cemetery has responded to Channel 2, saying they haven't received contact from the family.
They released a statement, saying:
“We are committed to providing all families with a well-maintained environment for visitation and remembrance. We value the relationships we have with our client families and encourage anyone with concerns to contact us directly.”
But the family says they did contact them, and still haven't been told what happened. They are planning on meeting Thursday evening to discuss the issue.
Copyright 2017 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.