68ºF

Family left homeless after heater sparks house fire

HOUSTON – It's been the home of the Alanis family for the past four years. But Monday night, less than a week before Christmas, a massive blaze melted away their memories.

"It's a feeling that you can't explain. I mean everything is gone that you worked for. My vehicles, my house, everything's gone," Kevin Alanis said.

The white, five-bedroom home is destroyed.

"We ran outside and in about five to six minutes, it busted into flames," Alanis said.

Kevin Alanis said all six of them were inside when the bathroom caught fire, they believe by a faulty space heater.

"It was way too big. We already knew it was done for already. There was nothing that could stop it," Alanis said.

He said within minutes, the house was engulfed, even the roof caved in. And without home insurance, that family has to figure out how to rebuild their lives on their own.

"It's pretty hard, just going inside your house and looking at everything just gone," Alanis said.

It may no longer be the most wonderful time of the year for this family, but Alanis said that wont stop them from carrying on tradition.

"Christmas is still going to go on for us. It's not going to stop us. We're still going to celebrate it as a family with our family," Alanis said.

If you would like to help, the family is accepting any and all types of donations -- clothes, food, Christmas gifts. You can email Kevin Alanis at kevo_alanis24@hotmail.com.

If you would like to contribute monetarily, here is a link to their GoFundMe page.