Runners lace up for annual Houston Turkey Trot event
Over 15,000 people expected to participate
HOUSTON – Thanksgiving is a time to gather with friends and family. But for thousands of Houstonians, it's also a time to lace up their running shoes for a good cause.
The 2016 TXU Energy Houston Turkey Trot will kick off Thanksgiving morning in the Galleria area to raise money for neighborhood centers.
A wide array of races is being offered, including both competitive and non-competitive, wheelchair races and a kids' run.
The fun is set to begin at 6 a.m. outside Dillard's on Westheimer.
Drivers are encouraged to take alternate routes as streets near the Galleria will be closed. Those closures will begin at 3:30 Thanksgiving morning.
Proceeds raised from the event will fund programs for neighborhood centers, ranging from education to jobs.
List of road closures:
Street closures from 3:30 a.m. - 11 a.m.:
- Southbound Post Oak and Westheimer
- Eastbound W. Alabama at West St.
- Hidalgo/Richmond exit on West Loop 610 southbound
Street closures from 5 a.m. - 11 a.m.:
- Eastbound Westheimer at Post Oak
- McCue and Westheimer for westbound traffic
- Richmond and Post Oak
To register, visit HoustonTurkeyTrot.org.
Schedule of events:
- 6 a.m. – 7:15 a.m. Race Day Registration
- 7:20 a.m. 10K Timed Wheelchair Race
- 7:30 a.m. 10K Race
- 7:50 a.m. 5K Timed Wheelchair Race
- 8:00 a.m. 5K Race
- 9:00 a.m. Kids Run
- All morning Post-Race Party