49ºF

Gas line catches fire, burns Uptown-area home

HOUSTON – Houston firefighters spent hours fighting a fire that quickly consumed the roof of an Uptown area home.

[PHOTOS OF THE FIRE]

Firefighters said the city was trying to repair a broken water main in the 4900 block of Tilbury near South Post Oak Lane and accidentally hit a gas line.

 

The flames spread to the front of a nearby home, setting the attic and roof on fire.

 

A woman inside the home suffered minor smoke inhalation but we're told she will be OK.

 

Gas continued to burn until the gas company was able to shut off the line.