HOUSTON – If you’re looking for a way to step up your fitness routine this year, here’s something that might interest you. Did you know certain foods can actually help you take your workout further? AJ “The Cardio Killer” Nebe shares what we should be eating before and after our workouts.
“You want to treat your body like a Ferrari,” said Nebe. “Ferrari’s are made to be fueled by premium gas. Of course, you can use unleaded, but the car will not run at its full capability.”
According to Nebe, the perfect pre-workout meal should consist of two things: carbs and protein. Meals should be consumed one to three hours before exercising, however liquid meals like protein smoothies can be consumed closer to your workout.
“If you have undigested food in your system, that may cause discomfort during your workout,” said Nebe.
Here are some foods Nebe recommends to consume before exercising.
- Lean protein: boosts metabolism & increase fat burning
- Sweet potatoes: provide steady energy for longer period
- Greek yogurt: contains amino acids, which help generate muscles
For post-workout, Nebe says it’s important to reduce muscle protein breakdown and increase growth through protein synthesis. It’s also good to replenish muscle glycogen. These in conjunction can help to reduce cortisol levels and muscle soreness.
“Remember while you’re working out, you’re tearing those muscle fibers, and your muscles will need immediate help in order to repair,” said Nebe.
Here is what Nebe suggests to reach for after you exercise.
- Protein Shake: consume within 45 min. of workout for maximum benefit
- Lean protein: reduces appetite and helps to maintain muscle mass
- Brown rice: low glycemic index and high carb content allow quick access to nutrients for recovery
To connect with AJ Nebe, visit his Instagram page @iamthecardiokiller