HOUSTON - Hurricane season will be here soon and the state wants to make sure residents are prepared.
Consumers will be able to get recommended emergency supplies tax-free this weekend.
There is no limit on the number of qualifying items that can be purchased during the 2017 emergency preparation supplies sales tax holiday, which begins at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, April 22, and ends at midnight on Monday, April 24.
These emergency preparation supplies qualify for tax exemption:
Less than $3,000
- Portable generators
Less than $300
- Hurricane shutters
- Emergency ladders
Less than $75
- Batteries, single or multipack (AAA cell, AA cell, C cell, D cell, 6-volt or 9-volt)
- First aid kits
- Fuel containers
- Ground anchor systems and tie-down kits
- Mobile telephone batteries and mobile telephone chargers
- Nonelectric coolers and ice chests for food storage
- Nonelectric can openers
- Portable self-powered light sources (hand-cranked flashlights)
- Portable self-powered radios, including two-way and weather band radios
- Reusable and artificial ice products
- Smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and carbon monoxide detectors
- Tarps and other plastic sheeting
These supplies do not qualify for tax exemption:
- Batteries for automobiles, boats and other motorized vehicles
- Camping stoves
- Camping supplies
- Chain saws
- Extension ladders
- Repair or replacement parts for emergency preparation supplies
- Services performed on, or related to, emergency preparation supplies
Shipping, handling and transportation charges are part of the sales price. If the emergency preparation supplies being purchased are taxable, the delivery charge is also taxable. Consumers should consider these charges when determining whether supplies can be purchased tax-free during the holiday.
For example, if you purchase a rescue ladder for $299 with a $10 delivery charge, for a total sales price of $309, because the total sales price of the ladder is more than $300, tax is due on the $309 sales price.
For more information, contact Tax Help or call 1-800-252-5555.
Copyright 2017 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.