Galveston Mardi Gras parades begin
GALVESTON, Texas – Galveston Island kicked off its 107th Mardi Gras celebration on Friday as parades begin marching through the streets.
Mardi Gras, which is French for "Fat Tuesday," is always observed on the Tuesday before the beginning of Lent, the religious observance of penance and self-denial. It’s seen as a time to indulge before the six weeks of Lent that lead up to Easter.
Galveston started the celebration with the George P. Mitchell Mardi Gras Award Presentation at 5:30 p.m. Friday, followed by the George P. Mitchell Mardi Gras Award Parade.
The celebrations finish with the Mystic Krewe of Aquarius 22nd Annual Fat Tuesday Parade at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 13.
List of parades
Friday, February 2, 2018
- George P. Mitchell Mardi Gras Award Parade – 7 p.m. - Strand District
- Mardi Gras! Galveston Parade – 10 p.m. – Strand District
Saturday, February 3, 2018
Despite the the rainy weather, parade goers still came out for the 29th annual Krewe of Gambrius parade Saturday. Organizer Eric Gage said the party must go on in spite of the rain. The parade usually attracts between 200,000 and 300,000 people. He's expecting a smaller crowd due to the weather.
- Mystic Krewe of Aquarius Kick-Off Parade – 12-3 p.m. -- 57th & Seawall to the Strand District
- 7th Annual Zaniest Golf Cart Parade – 1 p.m. – Strand District
- Krewe D’iHeartMedia Art Car Parade – 3 p.m. – Strand District
- Krewe of Gambrinus Parade – 6 p.m. – Seawall Blvd.
Sunday, February 4, 2018
- Fiesta Gras Estella TV Parade -- 1 p.m. -- Strand District
- Mega Fiesta Gras Parade – 4 p.m. – Strand District
Friday, February 9, 2018
- Salute of Texas – First Responder Day: Danny Weber Memorial Fire Truck Parade – 7 p.m. – Strand District
- Krewe Babalu 13th Annual All Krewe Parade – 8-9 p.m. – Strand District
- Krewe de Yaga’s Parade – 9:30 p.m. -- Downtown
Saturday, February 10, 2018
- Krewe d’Espirit Rosaire Parade – 11 a.m.-2 p.m. – Seawall Blvd
- Mardi Gras King’s Parade – 2:30 p.m. – Strand District
- Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler Parade – 4:30 p.m. – Strand District
- Knights of Momus Grand Night Parade – 6:30 p.m. – 25TH & Seawall to the Strand District
Sunday, February 11, 2018
- Shriners Hospitals for Children and Sunshine Kids Parade – Noon – Strand District
- Krewe of Barkus & Meoux Parade – 1:30 p.m. – Downtown Galveston
- Mardi Gras Children’s Parade – 3 p.m. – Downtown Galveston
Tuesday, February 11, 2018
- Mystic Krewe of Aquarius 22nd Annual Fat Tuesday Parade – 6:30 p.m. – Downtown
For more information about parades, balcony parties and other entertainment, go to mardigrasgalveston.com.
Copyright 2018 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.