'Gobble, gobble and ho, ho ho': New event announced for Thanksgiving weekend festivities
HOUSTON – Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner announced a new event as part of the Thanksgiving weekend holiday festivities in downtown in a Tuesday morning press conference.
Each year, the city of Houston Mayor's Office of Special Events organizes holiday festivities, including a Thanksgiving Day parade and a holiday celebration hosted by the mayor.
This year, the "Thingamajingle" event was added to the lineup and will take place on Black Friday. The event was called a "giant block party" on Main Street, which will be closed to traffic on the day of the event.
"Gobble, gobble and ho, ho, ho," Turner said during the press conference. "By combining all three events into one weekend, we are kicking off the holiday season in Houston by unwrapping downtown."
Organizers say this year, they will "turn it up" as the city celebrates two milestones — the 70th anniversary of the H-E-B Thanksgiving Day Parade and the 100th anniversary of the Reliant Lights Mayor's Holiday Spectacular.
The late Tuesday morning announcement will also include executives from H-E-B and Reliant and NRG Retail, as the companies are sponsors of the events.
Holiday event lineup:
H-E-B Thanksgiving Day Parade
- When: Starting 9 a.m. Nov. 28
- Where: Downtown Houston
- Tickets: It's a free event but a limited number of $28 tickets for seats will be sold on a first come, first served basis
- Highlights: This year, the parade will be opened with a carnival-themed performance from "The Greatest Show" by Simone Gundy, a season 11 contestant on "The Voice." There will be 13 floats and a dozen giant balloons along with marching bands and performers. For more information, you can visit the parade website.
- When: Nov. 29
- Where: Main Street in downtown Houston
- Tickets: The event is free but there will be food, drink and activities that can be purchased
- Highlights: The event, pegged as a "giant block party," will feature a Black Friday Gift Market, Christmas karaoke, a hipster Santa, live music, food and drinks.
Reliant Lights Mayor's Holiday Spectacular
- When: 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Nov. 30
- Where: Hermann Square at City Hall
- Tickets: Free event
- Highlights: The holiday tradition will feature music, Santa and fireworks. Rhythm and Blues performers Chloe and Halle will headline the event, singing from their new album, "The Kids Are Alright," along with a medley of holiday music. You can get more information on the holiday spectacular website.
Copyright 2019 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved.