When Hurricane Warning Is Issued
Published On: Oct 27 2011 03:18:56 PM CDT Updated On: May 26 2009 11:33:10 AM CDT
A hurricane warning means sustained winds of 74 mph or higher are expected in the warned area within 24 hours or less.
- Closely monitor radio, TV, or hurricane hotline telephone numbers for official bulletins.
- Follow instructions issued by local officials. Leave immediately if ordered to do so.
- Complete preparation activities, such as putting up storm shutters, storing loose objects, filling up water containers, etc.
- If evacuating, disconnect phone, gas and electricity as a precaution to prevent further damage.
- If evacuating, leave early and if possible, during daylight hours.
- Evacuate areas that might be affected by storm surge flooding.
- Leave all mobile homes in any case.
- Notify neighbors and family members outside of the warned area of your evacuation plans.