Prepare Home, Belongings For Flooding
Published On: Oct 27 2011 02:42:33 PM CDT Updated On: May 26 2009 11:44:09 AM CDT
Before a tropical system makes landfall, homeowners are encouraged to take the following precautions.
- Purchase the recommended emergency supplies and place in an easy-to-access location.
- Use a video camera to record your home and property. It will serve as a record for the insurance company if a claim is filed.
- Put all important paper documents, including photos, in zip lock plastic bags, and place in a portable container, such as a suitcase. It makes it easy to take with you if an evacuation is needed.
- Move important and valuable items, such as electronics, to the second floor or a high shelf to protect them from water.
- Bring in all unsecured items from the outside, such as lawn chairs and barbecue pits. Place the items inside a garage.
- Bring your pets indoors.
- Tape or board windows to reduce the risk of broken glass.
- Have additional cash on hand for emergencies since ATMs may be out of service.
- Fill your vehicle's gas tank and make sure it is working properly
American Red Cross, Greater Houston Chapter