HOUSTON - State Senator John Whitmire says he will pursue legislation that will make Rice University police subject to the same oversight as other University police departments.
A portion of the video was shown in a report by KPRC Investigative Reporter Robert Arnold. It showed a suspected bike thief being repeatedly hit by police batons as he was being arrested. Rice University has refused to release the rest of the tape until the Harris County District Attorney's investigation is complete but says its officers were following procedure.
Senator Whitmire says the arrest was made off the Rice Campus without HPD support, that the beating he saw was not warranted and that because Rice receives state funds and its police force is certified by the state,they have no right to withhold the full tape of the arrest.
Attorney Rusty Hardin, representing Rice University, says the suspect was resisting arrest and that all of the tape will show that the police actions were warranted. Hardin says Rice will release the full tape once the D.A.'s investigation is complete. No one is disputing the suspects guilt, but rather his treatment when under arrest.
Also on this program, Investigative Reporter Robert Arnold, whose report exposed the controversy, and KPRC Legal Expert Brian Wice.
Also this week, Judge Bonnie Hellums and Judge Meca Walker, Judges in Harris County's 247th Family District Court. They talk about the challenges and successes of Family and Drug court in helping to keep families together after they have been disrupted by physical abuse and drug use. Go to the website address below to find out how you can attend their court proceedings!
Great insight on a number of important issues unique to Southeast Texas. Watch it this and every Sunday at 10 a.m., right after Meet the Press with David Gregory.
- John Whitmire,(D) State Senator, District 15 , 713-864-8701, www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/senate/members/dist15/dist15.htm#Office
- Rusty Hardin, Attorney, Rusty Hardin & Associates , 713-652-9000 www.rustyhardin.com
- Robert Arnold., KPRC Local 2 Investigates, 713-222-2222, www.Click2houston.com
- Brian Wice, KPRC Legal Expert, 713-524-9922, www.click2houston.com
- Bonnie Hellums, Judge, Harris County 247th Family District Court, 713-368-6570, http://www.justex.net/courts/family/FAMILYCourt.aspx?crt=53
- Meca Walker,Judge Harris County 247th Family District Court, 713-368-6570, http://www.justex.net/courts/family/FAMILYCourt.aspx?crt=53
Copyright 2013 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.