CONROE, Texas -

A woman is recovering from burns after a fire that destroyed her home and killed her dog Tuesday night.

Conroe firefighters said they were called to the Timbers of Pine Hollow Apartments on Plantation Drive at around 11 p.m.

The man who owns the apartment that burned, Eric Villafranca, says his wife was home with their two children -- ages 2 and 5 -- and dog when the fire started. He said the fire started in the kitchen of their unit and by the time his wife realized the fire had started, the room was fully engulfed.

Villafranca says she was burned on her back saving her two children, but the dog did not make it out alive. The woman was rushed to the hospital where she was treated for minor burns. Villafranca said his family lost all of their belongings.

Three other apartment units sustained smoke and/or water damage. Approximately 12 occupants of these units were relocated by the Red Cross.

There were no reported injuries to firefighters.

The Conroe Fire Department Fire Marshal's Office says preliminary evidence suggests that the fire originated in the kitchen and was caused by cooking oil being heated, while left unattended, on the stove top.