HOUSTON -

A woman is blaming a faulty appliance for sparking a fire at her north Harris County townhome Thursday night.

Firefighters responded to the fire around 9:15 p.m. at the townhome on Ella Boulevard near Barren Springs Drive.

Fire crews quickly put out the flames, but were not able to save items in the townhome from smoke and water damage.

The woman who rents the townhome was able to get out safely. She claimed she had been having problems with an appliance that she believed sparked the fire.

The Harris County Fire Marshal's Office said it would investigate how the fire began.