A hurricane warning means sustained winds of 74 mph or higher are expected in the warned area within 24 hours or less.
- Closely monitor radio, TV, or hurricane hotline telephone numbers for official bulletins.
- Follow instructions issued by local officials. Leave immediately if ordered to do so.
- Complete preparation activities, such as putting up storm shutters, storing loose objects, filling up water containers, etc.
- If evacuating, disconnect phone, gas and electricity as a precaution to prevent further damage.
- If evacuating, leave early and if possible, during daylight hours.
- Evacuate areas that might be affected by storm surge flooding.
- Leave all mobile homes in any case.
- Notify neighbors and family members outside of the warned area of your evacuation plans.
Copyright 2012 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.