FORT HOOD, Texas -

Four people were killed, including the gunman, and 16 others injured in a shooting Wednesday at Fort Hood, officials say.

Fort Hood says a soldier assigned to 13th Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) fired shots at individuals in the 1st Medical Brigade area. 

Emergency services officials responded and injured individuals were treated at the scene and transported to area hospitals. The suspect died of a suspected self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to Fort Hood.

The base says there is no indication at this time that the incident is related to terrorism.

The names of the deceased will not be released until 24 hours after the next of kin have been notified.

The A&M Central Texas campus says all evening and night classes at Fort Hood and at the Fairway building are cancelled for Wednesday.

Hospitals near Fort Hood getting wounded persons

A Fort Hood statement says the wounded are being taken to Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood and other local hospitals nearby.

Officials at Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood referred all questions to post officials.

The biggest is Scott and White Hospital in Temple, about 25 miles east of Fort Hood. Hospital spokesman Deke Jones issued a statement saying the hospital has three patients from the shootings, but he provided no conditions.

Obama: We will get to bottom of Ford Hood shooting

President Barack Obama says the government will get to the bottom of what happened in a shooting incident at Fort Hood.

Obama says he's following the situation closely but that the situation is fluid. He says officials are doing everything they can to make sure everyone is secure.

Obama says the incident brings back painful memories of the 2009 mass shooting at Fort Hood. He says, quote, "We're heartbroken that something like this might've happened again."

Obama says people at Ford Hood have sacrificed so much for freedom and their sense of safety has been broken once again.

Obama spoke at a restaurant in Chicago where he held a fundraiser.

Gov. Rick Perry released the following statement: "Today, Ft. Hood was once again stricken by tragedy. As Texans, our first priority must be caring for the victims and their families. Ft. Hood has proven its resilience before, and will again. Texas will support those efforts in any way we can, with any resources necessary. The thoughts and prayers of all Texans are with everyone affected by this tragedy."

Mass shooting at same base in 2009

The base was the scene of a mass shooting in 2009. Thirteen people were killed and more than 30 wounded in what was the deadliest attack on a domestic military installation in history.

Army psychiatrist Nidal Hasan was convicted and sentenced to death last year in the Nov. 5, 2009, attack on his fellow soldiers as they waited inside a crowded building at Fort Hood. Soldiers there were waiting to get vaccines and routine paperwork after recently returning from deployments or while preparing to go to Afghanistan and Iraq.

According to testimony during Hasan's trial last August, Hasan walked inside carrying two weapons and several loaded magazines, shouted "Allahu Akbar!" -- Arabic for "God is great!" -- and opened fire with a handgun.

Witnesses said he targeted soldiers as he walked through the building, leaving pools of blood, spent casings and dying soldiers on the floor. Photos of the scene were shown to the 13 officers on the military jury.

The rampage ended when Hasan was shot in the back by Fort Hood police officers outside the building, which left him paralyzed from the waist down. Hasan is now on death row at the military prison at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas.

After that shooting, the military tightened security at bases nationwide. Those measures included issuing security personnel long-barreled weapons, adding an insider-attack scenario to their training, and strengthening ties to local law enforcement, according to Peter Daly, a vice admiral who retired from the Navy in 2011. The military also joined an FBI intelligence-sharing program aimed at identifying terror threats.

In September, a former Navy man opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard, leaving at least 13 people dead, including the gunman. After that shooting, Hagel ordered the Pentagon to review security at all U.S. defense installations worldwide and examine the granting of security clearances that allow access to them.

We'll continue to follow this breaking news as it develops and bring you more details on Local 2 News and on Click2Houston.com.