Before a tropical system makes landfall, homeowners are encouraged to take the following precautions.
- Purchase the recommended emergency supplies and place in an easy-to-access location.
- Use a video camera to record your home and property. It will serve as a record for the insurance company if a claim is filed.
- Put all important paper documents, including photos, in zip lock plastic bags, and place in a portable container, such as a suitcase. It makes it easy to take with you if an evacuation is needed.
- Move important and valuable items, such as electronics, to the second floor or a high shelf to protect them from water.
- Bring in all unsecured items from the outside, such as lawn chairs and barbecue pits. Place the items inside a garage.
- Bring your pets indoors.
- Tape or board windows to reduce the risk of broken glass.
- Have additional cash on hand for emergencies since ATMs may be out of service.
- Fill your vehicle's gas tank and make sure it is working properly
American Red Cross, Greater Houston Chapter
Copyright 2012 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.