HOUSTON -

A fire damaged a meat market in northwest Houston.

Firefighters were called to the La Michoacana Meat Market in the 1300 block of North Shepherd around 7:00 a.m. on Wedensday.

A family who lived upstairs tried to put out the fire before calling 911.

When firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke coming from the building.   They were able to put out the fire quickly.  The family was not harmed.

Firefighters say a large pot of oil used for deep frying was left unattended on a hot stove in the kitchen.  The oil boiled over and caused the fire.