Details for memorial service honoring fallen firefighters
Gov. Rick Perry, Houston Texans to attend
Thousands are expected to attend the public memorial service for the four Houston firefighters who were killed while battling a fire at a southwest Houston hotel last Friday.
The service will be held on Wednesday morning at Reliant Stadium.
Morning rush hour travelers should be aware of the memorial service activities as they drive into town. TxDOT says beginning around 6:00 a.m., a large number of fire department apparatuses and personnel will be traveling in multiple processions with police escorts on various Houston freeways, including I-10 East and West, US 290, US 59 North, and I-45 South.
Organizers said parking will open at 7 a.m. at Reliant Stadium. The public entrance will be off of S. Main with signs and directions directing the public to the parking area. Parking will be free.
The Memorial Procession will begin at 8 a.m. and the public may watch the procession from the south parking lot of Reliant Stadium and on the Skywalk across Kirby Drive.
Kirby Drive will be closed both directions between La Concha Lane and 610 S Loop from 8 a.m. until 10 a.m. for the memorial procession.
Reliant Stadium will open at 8 a.m. and the service will begin at 10 a.m.
Motorists are asked to be patient in observance of the memorial service activities.
Several community and state leaders will attend the memorial service, including Gov. Rick Perry. The Houston Texans organization will also be in attendance.
Below is a schedule for the memorial service:
• National Anthem by Kelley Peters
• Master of Ceremony Remarks by Michael Mire, Captain, Houston Fire Department
• Opening Prayer by His Eminence Daniel Nicholas DiNardo, Cardinal-Archbishop of Galveston-Houston
• Musical Selection by the Brentwood Baptist Church Choir
• Mayor of Houston Address by The Honorable Annise Parker
• Messages by Tony Rocha, On behalf of the Renaud Family; Ian S. Kim, On behalf of the Bebee Family
• Musical Selection by the Musicians of The Houston Symphony
• Messages by Nicole Garner, On behalf of the Garner Family; Mary Moore Sullivan, On behalf of the Sullivan Family
• Fire Chief Address by Terry Garrison, Fire Chief, Houston Fire Department
• Fire Chief Terry Garrison will present the American Flag honoring our fallen fire fighters to the Renaud, Bebee,
• Garner and Sullivan families. These flags have been provided by U.S. Congressman Gene Green (D-Texas), U.S. Congressman John Culberson (R-Texas), U.S. Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) and U.S. Congressman Pete Olson (R-Texas) who had the flags flown over the United States Capital on May 31, 2013.
• Firefighters Address by Jeff Caynon, President, Houston Professional Fire Fighters Association IAFF Local 341
• Address by International Association of Firefighters Thomas H. Miller, General Secretary-Treasure
• After IAFF General Secretary-Treasurer Miller delivers his comments, he will be joined by IAFF District Vice President Sandy McGhee and Houston Professional Fire Fighters President Jeff Caynon to present the IAFF Medal of Honor to the Renaud, Bebee, Garner and Sullivan families.
• Honor Companies Tribute
• The Final Alarm Bell Ceremony by the Houston Fire Department Honor Guard
• Closing Prayer by His Eminence Daniel Nicholas DiNardo, Cardinal-Archbishop of Galveston-Houston
• Musical Selection (Amazing Grace) by the Houston Fire Department Pipes and Drums
Local 2 will provide live coverage of the procession and the memorial service starting at 8 a.m. on Click2Houston.com.