Consumer experts warn a laptop left on certain surfaces may increase the risk of fire.
An overheated laptop battery caused a fire that burned down a two story condominium in Manassas, Virginia, according to fire marshal Frank Teevan.
Teevan said before the fire a laptop was left running with a recalled battery on a bed for 16 to 18 hours. Consumer Product Safety Commission reports show between 2005 and 2010 multiple manufacturers recalled a million laptop batteries.
"Unfortunately in this case, the owner didn't know she had a recalled battery. She put it on her bed on top of a comforter on her mattress the night before she fell asleep. She left that morning to go to work and left the laptop running plugged in on her bed," said Teevan.
Laptops left on soft bedding can be dangerous regardless of whether or not they are running on a recalled battery, according officials.
Computer technicians warn laptops get hot and the air intakes that keep the computer cool are on the bottom or side and blocking the vents or fans can cause the computer to overheat.
"It got so hot it ignited the blankets and the comforter on the bed and just went from there," said Teevan.
Experts advise people to keep laptops on a hard surface, especially if you are not using it, and keep an eye out for recalled parts on your computer.