Overheated battery causes brief evacuation at LBJ Hospital

Headline Goes Here

HOUSTON - Authorities say an overheated battery caused caused a brief evacuation at Lyndon B. Johnson General Hospital, the Harris County Hospital District (HCHD) said.

HCHD said a UPC battery overheated around 12:30 p.m. Monday on the first floor of LBJ Hospital.

Officials say hazmat crews evacuated the first floor of the hospital as a precaution.

There was a foul smell, but no chemicals were released, according to the hospital district.

Officials say the battery was removed and all patients and staff were allowed back inside.

Copyright 2014 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.