HOUSTON -

A mother’s quick thinking helped get her family out of their apartment after it caught fire early Friday morning.

Houston firefighters responded to the Crofton Apartments, located on Crofton near Tidwell, just before 5:30 a.m. to find flames coming from an apartment on the second floor.

The Houston Fire Department said crews made a fast attack and were able to put the fire out quickly.

Fire officials said an electrical circuit in one of the bedrooms shorted out and caught fire.

Five people were inside the apartment at the time of the fire. The mother living in the apartment said she was awoken by the smoke detector, saw flames, woke up the rest of her family and got them out safely.