A man is dead after fire broke out at his home in southwest Houston.
The family says they are beyond heartbroken and still in shock. Herman Edwards was trapped in this front room. His family says he was a teacher who loved his students.
"We all ran out and I said, 'Oh my God, that's Ms. Louise's house," said Freddy Trotter.
Before fire crews arrived, neighbors in this southwest Houston community reacted in record time.
"He grabbed her and brought her a couple of houses down and then went back to get her sister," said Trotter.
Families who live off the 15000 of Chimney Rock know the woman who lives in this home as Ms. Louise. On Sunday night, within minutes, a fast-moving fire destroyed years of memories.
"The house was fully engulfed in flames when we got out," said Trotter.
He says the fire started in the front of the home.
"She said that she was in the kitchen cooking and she smelled smoke," Trotter said.
But before she left the house, she went to check the front room next to the kitchen.
"She went over there. The door was closed and her son, Mr. Herman Edwards, was in that room and she said that the room was on fire," said Trotter. "She was saying, 'You have to save my son, you have to save my son.'"
Ms. Louise, who is 88 years old, and her younger sister were both carried to safety, but her 65-year-old son Herman didn't make it out.
Even though the structure of the family home is burned down, the foundation that it was built on they say will not be destroyed.
"We will come together. And although this is tragic we will find a way to move forward," said the victim's sister-in-law, Victoria Northington.
The family says they do have insurance, but it is still unclear if they will rebuild.
Homicide detective on the scene said they did not consider the fire suspicious.
According to neighbors, that woman's husband died five years ago. He was a veteran who fought in World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War.