They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but one photo recently taken by a City of Houston Health Department inspector can be summed up with just one word -- gross.
Last month we featured Natto Chinese at 1818 Hamilton when inspectors said there were mouse droppings on a food prep table. They also reported rodents had gnawed and nibbled on hundreds of pounds of food. We asked owner David Ding about the issues.
"Yes, but we do the pest control, everything," Ding told Local 2. "You can check now. No problem now."
There is a problem now though, according to inspectors. They snapped a picture of a dead cockroach in a 30-pound container of rice at Natto and then tossed all of the contaminated food.
The secret sauce may not be what you think at King Bo on the Southwest Freeway at Bissonnet. Inspectors say an AC compressor was dripping water onto chicken and sausage in the walk-in cooler and employees weren't doing enough to get rid of the roaches.
Just up the road at Sagar Indian Cuisine at 5600 Hillcroft, they found old rodent droppings on the kitchen floor and roaches.
"You mind showing us what you've done to fix these problems?" Local 2 asked the manager.
"Yes. We already called pest control and they have done the job very good," the manager said.
Inspectors say they found an infestation of German cockroaches at La Guadalupana Bakery at 2109 Dunlavy.
They condemned 34 pounds of chicken, tofu, pork and rice at Red Curry at 1578 Kingwood Drive for being off temperature.
Nine pounds of potentially hazardous food was tossed at Church's Chicken at 6003 Chimney Rock for being too warm.
And at Beck's Prime in Meyerland Plaza, there was an infestation of gnats in the kitchen where employees prepare your food.
We've got A+'s this week for Lafayette Seafood at 10829 West Bellfort and Smoothie King on Westheimer near Dairy Ashford. Kudos to both businesses for their spotless inspections.