FREEPORT, Texas -

A Freeport apartment fire that left 14 families homeless Tuesday was caused by a toddler playing with a lighter, authorities say.

The Freeport fire marshal says the blaze at the Azalea Court apartments, which trapped a grandmother and her two grandsons in a second-story bedroom, started when a 2-year-old was messing around with a lighter in a closet.

Nobody was hurt, but 27 residents were displaced and moved into vacant units and other nearby apartments.

The Red Cross also offered assistance to the victims.