CONROE, Texas -

A Montgomery County man accused of raping two women is in custody.  Conroe police said the two separate attacks happened within a few hours over the weekend. In both cases, police said the suspect gained the women's trust by asking simple favors and initiating a conversation.

In the first incident on the night of Oct. 12, Conroe police received a report of an aggravated sexual assault of a 22-year-old female in the 900 block of Bellshire. The victim told police the suspect first approached her asking to borrow her cell phone, and once the suspect gained the victim's trust, the suspect sexually assaulted her.

The woman was able to escape from the man and ran for help. The suspect fled the location.

The second incident was reported about six hours later in the early morning hours of Oct. 13.  Conroe police say they received a report from a 40-year-old woman who said she had been sexually assaulted.

The second victim told police the suspect approached her in the 1100 block of S. Seventh and asked for a cigarette. The suspect then asked the victim to use her bathroom, and after allowing the man inside her apartment, the suspect threatened the victim and sexually assaulted her.

Police said the suspect was in the victim's home for a couple of hours before he stole some of her personal items and her vehicle. The stolen vehicle was later recovered by the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office.

"He's trying to gain the confidence of whoever he's talking with, put them at ease, make them feel comfortable.  And that's when the assaults occur," said Sgt. Dorcy Riddle with the Conroe Police Department.

At the complex where the second assault happened, some were unaware of the attack.

"It's kinda scary. I have little girls here. I didn't hear anything about it," said resident Esther Tierrablanca.

"You can't trust anybody," said resident Kathia Rangel. "I'm just saying, whatever happened I hope it doesn't happen to anyone again."

Investigators said they were able to identify the suspect as Otis Samuel Mitchell.  He was taken into custody Tuesday afternoon after members of the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office SWAT and U.S. Marshals convinced Mitchell to turn himself in.

Mitchell, 22, is in the Montgomery County Jail. He's charged with two counts of aggravated sexual assault.