The Coast Guard is crediting a life jacket for saving the life of a local boater.
Officials said the 51-year-old man fell into the Gulf three miles off the coast of Freeport Saturday night.
The man managed to swim to shore. Officials said he was found close to where his boat washed up.
The Coast Guard said the man never would have made it to shore if he had not been wearing his life vest on the boat before he fell in.
The Coast Guard provided a list of tips for boaters to remember before heading out on the water:
- Wear a life jacket at all times
- File a float plan
- Check the weather prior to departing the dock
- Have a marine band radio and visual distress signals on board
- Have a registered 406MHz Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon
- Have a Personal Locator Beacon
- Do not boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs