Marshal: Freeport apartment fire caused by boy playing with lighter

By Andy Cerota - Anchor/Reporter

FREEPORT, Texas - A Freeport apartment fire that left 14 families homeless Tuesday was caused by a toddler playing with a lighter, authorities say.

The Freeport fire marshal says the blaze at the Azalea Court apartments, which trapped a grandmother and her two grandsons in a second-story bedroom, started when a 2-year-old was messing around with a lighter in a closet.

Nobody was hurt, but 27 residents were displaced and moved into vacant units and other nearby apartments.

The Red Cross also offered assistance to the victims.

Copyright 2014 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.