From karaoke bars to Houston grocery stores, health inspectors made the rounds. Consumer expert Amy Davis reviewed hundreds of reports and handpicked some of the worst for this week's Restaurant Report Card.
Customers rave about the great tacos and breakfast at El Gallo de Jalisco in the 3200 block of White Oak Drive, but when health inspectors stopped by they saw a roach drop from the ceiling into a pot of pork on the stove below.
A KPRC 2 crew visited the Happy Lamp Chinese Restaurant at 9616 Hillcroft St., looking for the roach infestation that health inspectors noted under the ice machine and on the floor in the kitchen. The crew could not find any sign of the pests.
Inspectors said they had to temporarily shut down the Acapulco Taqueria in the 9500 block of Bauman when they saw roaches crawling on the wall behind the grill and fryer and flies buzzing around the kitchen.
KPRC 2 got no explanation for why health inspectors found raw chicken and fish nearly 20 degrees off temperature and not safe for human consumption at the China Border Chinese Restaurant at 5460 North Freeway near Tidwell.
The buffet at Cici's Pizza at 935 North Shepherd wasn't the main focus when inspectors stopped by. Instead, they looked down at a floor drain where they said liquid waste was backing up every time someone turned on the sink.
At Jersey Mike’s Subs at 5393 Westheimer Road, inspectors saw dead gnats and roaches. But the roaches were alive at Don Luis Mexican Restaurant at 7606 Irvington. The inspector said one was climbing on a wall near the hot holding area in the kitchen.
Rodent droppings, insects crawling in the food, and meat at unsafe temperatures that could make you sick. KPRC 2 tells you about these violations each week in the restaurant report card to keep you and your family safe.
Roaches can spread and transmit disease. It's why they're not just a nuisance; they are a health hazard when inspectors find them in restaurants. Inspectors said they found a lot of them in this week's restaurant report card.
More than 17 pounds of food at Snap Kitchen at 3600 Kirby near Richmond were deemed not safe for human consumption because they were off temperature, including chicken enchiladas, salmon and turkey chili, according to food inspectors.
You may not be expecting healthy food when you head to a pub, but at Firkin & Phoenix at 1915 Westheimer, inspectors say some of the food was not safe for human consumption. They tossed 33 pounds of cooked chicken and hamburger meat that was off-temperature.
Maybe it's the taste or a funny smell. Sometimes you don't know what it is. Something just seems off when you take a sip of your drink. At Mi Luna on University in Rice Village, inspectors say they found slime in the ice machine and black mildew on the soda gun nozzle.
When customers drove up to the Sonic at 1054 Uvalde Road during a two-hour time period last week, they found it closed. Health inspectors said there was no hot water, black mold on the soda fountain nozzles, and black residue in the ice maker. Manager Keymah Robinson said the inspector who wrote…
Health inspectors said the food at the Starbucks on the Southwest Freeway between Edloe and Weslayan was not safe for human consumption. The yogurt, meat salad and cheese in the store's display cooler was off temperature. Employees threw the food away; the cooler was quarantined until it was…
Headed to the movies? How about a bite to eat at Studio Movie Grill in City Centre? When health inspectors stopped by, they said there was black and yellow mildew in the ice machines, and a broken grill drawer that left raw chicken, burgers and cheese too warm.
When inspectors find major health code violations at Houston restaurants, they typically give owners a chance to clean up before they come back. But one restaurant couldn't get rid of the cockroaches after four separate visits.
Keeping food at the right temperature is a big part of running a restaurant. It prevents food borne illnesses and it's required by the health department. But Houston inspectors found plenty of temperature problems in this week's Restaurant Report Card.
There are a lot of new dining options in downtown Houston from tapas to sushi and even Italian, but this week, quite a few downtown eateries got dinged by health inspectors and ended up in this week's Restaurant Report Card.
Tacos, Thai food and Chinese buffet. If you're a fan of these cuisines, this week's Restaurant Report Card is one you'll want to see. Houston health inspectors found some big violations when they stopped by these popular locations.
A mouse is never a good sight to see at a restaurant, but a dead mouse is better than a live one, and it still got one location dinged by Houston health inspectors in this week's Restaurant Report Card.
A downtown hot spot gets hit by health inspectors again. And salad, soup and health food were all deemed hazardous. KPRC Local 2 Consumer Expert Amy Davis has the details in this week's Restaurant Report Card.
It was lunchtime when Local 2's Amy Davis dropped in the Taco Bell at 5772 Hollister. A week earlier, inspectors said they found off-temperature taco meat, rice and chicken, no hot water and flies in the kitchen.
We're going upscale in this week's Restaurant Report Card. Restaurant rating service Zagat says Benjy's on Washington Avenue has "knock-out American fare and stellar people watching." The customers may be cool, but ...
A rat made an appearance during one restaurant's recent inspection and another restaurant is under the microscope after a customer got sick. Here are the complaints and inspections keeping health inspectors busy in this week's Restaurant Report Card.
If you've had the unfortunate experience of finding bugs in your food pantry, you probably wondered where they came from. In this week's Restaurant Report Card consumer expert Amy Davis is getting to the root of the problem at a popular grocery store chain.
Thousands of us trust day cares to look after our little ones. They train, watch and teach our children every day. Something else they do is feed children. That's why we're checking out the kitchens of local day cares in this week's Restaurant Report Card.
Whether you're eating high on the hog or you're being thrifty, you expect your food to be clean. It's why we're pointing out violations at a high-dollar steakhouse and a dollar store in this week's Restaurant Report Card.
Maybe you've heard that the best time to eat at a restaurant is just after the health inspector visits. The idea is that the owner will have cleaned up the place, but that theory doesn't hold up in this week's Restaurant Report Card.
Imagine sitting down for a bite to eat with a friend, and then realizing it's not just the two of you at your table. When an uninvited guest made one woman lose her appetite, she called KPRC Local 2 consumer investigator Amy Davis to get the restaurant on this week's Restaurant Report Card.
Live insects and rats are two things that should definitely not be in a kitchen. But health inspectors found them. From fast-food to fancy to a day care for kids, we've got you covered in this week's Restaurant Report Card.
The school cafeteria is a restaurant if it's where you have to eat five days a week, and what inspectors found in one school kitchen lead consumer investigator Amy Davis to include it in this week's Restaurant Report Card.
A repeat visit to one Houston pizza place finds even more serious violations, but there are two spotless places in this week's Restaurant Report Card where you can take your family to chill out and have some fun.
From a doughnut shop to an upscale department store café, this week's Restaurant Report Card has a little bit for everyone. We also threw in a couple of non-restaurants because they were just too gross not to.
All across our area, there are kitchens serving food to your kids every day, whether they like it or not. KPRC Local 2 consumer investigator Amy Davis takes the Restaurant Report Card to school cafeterias.
You don't even have to eat out to have an interest in this week's Restaurant Report Card. That's because health inspectors checked out the deli at a local grocery store, and what they found just might make you lose your appetite.