HOUSTON -

A man and woman are safe after escaping a house fire in northeast Houston late Wednesday night.

Houston firefighters responded to the fire on Benson Street near Sumpter Street, and upon arrival found smoke coming from the home. Fire crews made a fast attack and got the fire out quickly. 

The homeowner, Robert Perkins, believes the fire started in the water heater. 

"She wanted to take a bath, so we turned on the water in the restroom for the bathtub and all the sudden we heard something that went boom!" Perkins said.

The fire was contained to the bathroom. No one was hurt.