Firefighters are trying to figure out what sparked a blaze at a Spring family's home.
Melissa Carter and her two daughters were at a Catholic Girl Scout charity event benefiting the Red Cross when the fire broke out Wednesday night at their house on Greenlake and Ridgewood.
"Apparently while we were saying the rosary, our house was on fire," Carter said.
She says her husband and son returned home and saw the flames.
"We were just thinking about whether or not my brother and dad were safe. Luckily they were," said 13-year-old Kayla Carter.
Father and son quickly got their two dogs out and dialed 9-1-1.
Firefighters arrived and quickly got the blaze under control, but the second floor and attic suffered heavy damage. Melissa Carter watched in tears as crews battled the flames.
"This was our first house since when we married in 1998," she said. "All three of our kids have been raised in this house, so there are a lot of memories."
No one was seriously injured, but crews treated a firefighter on scene for heat exhaustion.
"It's heartbreaking," Carter said. "But I can rest safely knowing everyone is OK."
Carter says the family won't be able to move back in for another month or two months. On Wednesday night they stayed with a neighbor. They're not sure where they'll stay next.