HARRIS COUNTY -

Less than one week before Christmas, a Harris County woman is picking up the pieces after fire broke out at her house early Thursday morning.

The homeowner, Thresir Christie,  told Local 2 she was out shopping with her children for stocking stuffers for the holidays when the fire broke out early Thursday morning in the 1500 block of Corral.

Christie said her family's belongings, including Christmas presents, were destroyed in the fire.

"How am I going to tell my children that the house is gone," asked Christie.

Firefighters said the fire was an accident caused by unattended candles that were left burning. The fire causes extensive damage throughout the two-story home.

Multiple fire crews responded to help put out the massive flames. The Ponderosa Fire Department was the first unit at the scene and was assisted by firefighters from Klein, Spring, Little York and Champions.